How to Become a Software Engineer
If you’re interested in this thriving field, there are several paths toqualify for software engineering job openings. Some developers opt for abachelor’s degree or a master’s in computer science.But more and more tech companies and other employers are becoming lessinterested in applicants having college degrees in computer science. Instead,they focus on looking for candidates with practical experience in developingsoftware applications.If you’re looking for a path that’s quicker and more affordable yet just asintensive, check out coding bootcamps. These bootcamps will teach you thefundamentals of software engineering. By the end of your chosen program,you’ll know all things programming. There are also tons of great online codingbootcamps available if you can’t attend in person.
5. Computer Research Scientist
* Median Annual Salary, 2018: $118,370 * Job Growth, 2018-28: 16% (much faster than average)Computer research science is one of the most lucrative and rewarding careersin tech. Computer research scientists are at the forefront of technologicalinnovation. They research and discover new ways to do amazing things withcomputer technology and help drive progress. According to BLS, the outlook forthis profession is excellent, with openings expected to grow at a rate that ismuch faster than average.
How to Become a Computer Research Scientist
To qualify for a computer research scientist role, you’ll need a bachelor’sdegree in computer science or information systems, at the very least. You canalso never go wrong with a master’s degree.
How to Become a Database Administrator
Database administrators typically hold a bachelor’s degree in computerscience, information science, or a related field. One can also be a databaseadministrator with an associate degree in any field related to information andcommunication technologies (ICT). You might also want to consider earning adatabase administrator certification offered by companies, such as Oracle,IBM, Microsoft, and MongoDB.
10. Computer Hardware Engineer
* Median Annual Salary, 2018: $114,600 * Job Growth, 2018-28: 6% (as fast as average)Computer hardware engineers design, build, and repair the physical circuitrythat makes computers work. And while software is the face of the techindustry, tech companies still need hardware professionals. Hardware engineersare well-paid, and the position offers a hands-on approach that’s attractiveto many people.
How to Become a Computer Hardware Engineer
The path to becoming a computer hardware engineer usually starts in collegethrough a bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering. Youcan also learn more about computer hardware through courses offered online.
How to Become a DevOps Engineer
Pursue a bachelor’s degree in computer science or electronics engineering.DevOps bootcamps, such as Simplilearn, DigitalCrafts, and KeepCoding, can alsoget your foot in the door.
13. Computer Network Architect
* Median Annual Salary, 2018: $109,020 * Job Growth, 2018-28: 5% (as fast as average)Computer network architects design complex digital systems and cloud computinginfrastructure for big and small businesses. This field helps companiesfunction in the digital era.Computer network architects command a high salary and good job prospects. Yoursalary as a computer network architect will vary depending on location. Aprofessional based in California could earn around $123,000 per year, whileone in Florida makes just around $86,000.
How to Become a Computer Network Architect
Master the field by getting a four-year bachelor’s degree in computer scienceor computer engineering. You can also opt for related fields such as networkadministration.
How to Become a Mobile Application Developer
You can either major in computer science or a related field or attend a codingbootcamp that focuses on mobile app development.
23. Machine Learning Engineer
* Average Base Salary: $112,926A machine learning engineer works with computer programming and artificialintelligence to make a machine perform specific tasks. These engineers createprograms that allow machines to perform certain tasks and duties, even withoutbeing directed to do so. It’s a coding job that is constantly evolving andchanging.
How to Become a Machine Learning Engineer